Confidentiality, integrity, and availability, also known as CIA triads, are models designed to guide information security policies within your organization. Don’t think that the CIA Triad has anything to do with the US Government or is a top-secret government-approved model. It is a fairly neat and flexible model that can protect corporate information systems, applications, and networks. Here, confidentiality is a set of rules that limit access to information. Integrity guarantees that information is reliable and accurate, and availability guarantees reliable access to information by authorized persons. You can learn more about this by getting cyber security certifications online. But before that, let us understand what these terms mean.
Confidentiality: Confidentiality is almost synonymous with confidentiality measures to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access attempts. Data is typically categorized according to the amount and type of damage arising from falling into the wrong hands.
Integrity: Integrity means maintaining the accuracy of the data as it travels through the workflow. Integrity involves maintaining data consistency, accuracy, and reliability throughout the data lifecycle. This should include protecting the data from unauthorized deletions and changes and measures for rapid damage recovery in the event of a breach.
Availability means that the information is consistent and easily accessible to authorized parties. This means providing users with seamless and uninterrupted access. This includes hardware and technical infrastructure and proper system maintenance that contains and displays information.
How to Ensure the CIA?
To meet the demands of modern customers to keep their business data secure and work together in a secure environment, companies need to implement the core principles of the well-known CIA Security Triad. Here, we share some key ideas to help you implement the CIA triad in your organization while providing the latest security protections available to your employees, brands, and customers:
- Two-factor authentication for rescue: Even if someone can break the layer of your security protocol, it is unlikely that they might be able to bypass Step 2. Two-factor authentication is also a process of everyday life. Along with data encryption, this unique procedure in your security system can increase the confidentiality of your data and all interactions.
- Data backup and recovery are essential: You need to be prepared in the unlikely event that an accident occurs and a security breach may occur. This means that you and your employees can prepare yourself and your employees for possible security incidents and preventively protect the integrity of your data. For this reason, you should invest in a dedicated data backup and recovery plan to maintain data integrity and overall security over the long term.
- Employee training as a priority: If you use the right SaaS solution, secure cloud environment for data storage and collaboration, and advanced access control procedures, you should also know who implements all these security procedures in your enterprise. After all, people are often the main source of risk, and their actions are a factor in determining how defensive your safeguards are.
- Manage traffic and network security: The main gateway to cyber threats to businesses is the Internet network. Inbound traffic can be flooded with potential malware and social engineering schemes, but outbound traffic that is not correctly monitored or controlled can direct employees to insecure websites and malicious attacks on organizations. May be exposed to. Protecting all devices associated with your corporate network with advanced network security solutions is a prerequisite for reaching your corporate CIA triad.
- Security software shall be up to date: Some updates are automated, while others require the IT team to select and enable various features on the device. Without regularly updated security software and all other software used to run your business, you run the risk of making triads available. If security software is not available onsite and on all devices you use, your team can only utilize some of your data and interactions.
Hope the article was informative enough! To get in-depth knowledge of the CIA, you can enroll in courses like cyber security programs offered by Great Learning in collaboration with various globally appreciated universities.