Australian Immigration has several visas for international skilled workers who want to move to Australia. These visas under the Skilled Migration Program involve both temporary and permanent residence visas. Therefore, if you want to stay and work in one of the safest countries in the world, you can happily apply for one of these visas.
One such visa is the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190, designed for nominated skilled workers to allow them to stay and work in a particular Australian state or territory. This visa is an excellent option for skilled workers who want to migrate to Australia but have failed to satisfy the point requirements for the Skilled Independent Visa 189. This blog discusses the benefits and other details of the Nominated Visa 190 that you must know before making your application.
How Is A Skilled Nominated Visa Different From A Skilled Independent Visa?
As both the visas are under the Skilled Migration Program, they share some common requirements. These visas are points-based visas, where points are given against set criteria, and the applicants need to score a minimum point to be eligible to apply for the visa. In addition, both these visas require the applicants to submit an EOI (expression of interest) before receiving the invitation to apply.
The key difference between the two is that, while only the highest-scoring candidates are selected for the Skilled Independent Visa, individual territory or state governments nominate candidates in the case of the Visa Subclass 190. For the two different visas, the skilled occupations’ lists are also different.
What Are The Benefits Of A Skilled Nominated Visa?
As a prospective migrant to Australia, you may get confused to see a large number of visa options. Even if you know the application procedure and visa routes, you may not be sure about the best visa option. Each visa comes with different benefits, conditions, processing times, eligibility criteria, and fees. While choosing your visa, you should not only consider your current situation, but you must give importance to your future plans and family needs, too.
As a holder of the 190 Skilled Visa, you can enjoy lots of flexibility in your study, work, and travel. With this visa in hand, you can do the following things without any restrictions.
- As Visa 190 is a permanent residence visa, it allows the holder to stay indefinitely in Australia. Once the Department of Home Affairs grants you this visa, you will be regarded as an Australian permanent resident, which means you can enjoy other PR benefits.
- Besides working for an Australian employer, you can also study at an Australian institute.
- Australian permanent residents are allowed to enroll in Medicare. It is Australia’s government health care scheme, and thus, you can receive treatments at reduced or no costs in public hospitals.
- You can sponsor your relatives’ visa applications if they want to visit you in Australia.
- For the next five years after you are granted the visa, you can travel abroad and return to Australia as many times as you want.
- After several years of stay as an Australian permanent resident, you will become eligible to apply for Australian citizenship.
Another key benefit of the Skilled Nomination Visa is that it allows the applicants to include their immediate family members in the application. My immediate family, we refer to the following members:
- Spouse or de facto partner of the main applicant
- Dependent children or step-children of the main applicant
Dependent children mean children who are financially dependent on the applicant or their spouse and are not engaged or married or in a de facto relationship. Conditions are as follows.
- Their age should be under 18 years.
- Even if their age is over 18, they should be below 23 years of age and financially dependent on the main applicant or the main applicant’s spouse or partner.
- Children over 23 years of age with significant mental and physical disabilities can also be included in the application.
Also, chances of getting selected for the 190 Visa Australia are higher than that for the 189 Visa. The reason is that candidates are nominated by a state or territory rather than selected based on the number of points they score.
How can you become eligible for the Australian Skilled Nominated Visa?
Eligibility criteria for the Skilled Migration Visa 190 are as follows.
- You should have skills for a specific occupation listed on the relevant Skilled Occupations List.
- You have to score a minimum of 65 points on the points test.
- As it is a state-nominated visa, you must receive an invitation to apply by Australia’s territory or state government. Remember that you can only apply for this visa after receiving the application.
- For the nominated occupation, you have to go through a skills assessment conducted by a relevant assessing authority.
- Your age must be between 18 and 45 at the time of applying.
- Having adequate English language skills is necessary. To prove it, you have to submit the result of an English language test.
- For health requirements, you have to pass necessary health examinations.
- You should also have a good character.
How can you apply for the visa?
Before you start with your application procedure for your Visa 190, keep in mind the following points.
- First, you should check whether your occupation is on the relevant skilled occupations list and fulfills the minimum points’ criteria.
- Then, it will be crucial to consult an immigration lawyer to know whether this visa pathway suits your requirements the best. An immigration professional can also provide you with important guidance with your application procedure, which will reduce the chances of visa refusal.
- You can apply for a visa from inside or outside of Australia.
- In the first stage of your application, you must submit your Expression of Interest (EOI). This document should include all the qualifications you have.
- The state or territory government authority will assess the EOI and see whether you can pass the points’ test. If satisfied, they will send you the invitation to apply.
- Once invited, you have to go through the assessment of the required skills for your occupation. For necessary skills assessment details, you may check the website of the Australian government.
- Gathering all the documents is a vital step in the application procedure. Documents that you will need to submit will include identity documents, relationship documents, English language proficiency documents, skills assessment results, and dependent documents. For online applications, you should upload scanned copies of them.
- Once all the documents are gathered, you have to complete the application now. At this stage, you should also pay the visa application fees.
- The Department will inform you about the decision through email. If your application is accepted, they will send you the visa grant number, specific visa conditions, and the visa start date in that confirmation email.
If you want to enjoy those benefits of the 190 Visa, consider taking help from a registered Adelaide migration agent. Australian migration agents have to register themselves on the Migration Agents Registration Authority and can be contacted from anywhere in the world. However, keep in mind that you must fill out the necessary form and submit it while applying if you are taking assistance from such a professional.