The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) and Union Public Service Commission Engineering Services Exam (IES) are examinations conducted by the IITs, IISc on behalf of the National Coordination Board and UPSC, respectively. These competitive exams are vital for aspirants wanting to pursue a career in Engineering. In addition, these exams also help aspirants pursue higher studies in Engineering. IES and GATE Exam aim to test the aspirants on their undergraduate engineering knowledge. BYJU’s Exam Prep is an online platform that provides detailed study material and guidance about the GATE and IES Exams.
Career Scope for GATE Exam and IES Exam
Before appearing for the GATE and IES exams, aspirants must know the career scope of these competitive exams. This way, they can plan their future, choose their desired career option, and prepare for it accordingly. Listed below are some career prospects for GATE and IES Exam
Career Options after GATE
Listed below are some career options after clearing the GATE Exam:
1. Campus Placements: After clearing the GATE Exam, aspirants can apply to any top engineering colleges, including the seven IITs, NITs, IIsc, etc. Getting admission to these colleges will help the candidates secure high paying jobs from companies like Maruti, Cisco, Google, Tata etc., during campus placement.
2. CSIR Junior Research Fellowship: After clearing GATE, aspirants will also be eligible to apply for the junior research fellowship provided by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), the world’s largest publicly funded Research and Development organization. Every year CSIR recruits researchers through GATE. The selected candidates must go through a final interview before getting selected by CSIR. However, the recruitment happens based on high scores in the GATE exam and the number of projects available.
3. Public Sector Undertaking (PSU): Aspirants can apply to various PSUs after clearing the GATE exam. PSUs like HPCL, IOCL, ONGC, BHEL, NTPC, DDA etc., recruit candidates based on their GATE scores.
4. Foreign Institutes and Companies: Clearing the GATE Exam makes aspirants eligible to apply to foreign institutes and companies. The GATE exam gives candidates who want to apply to foreign companies and institutes an edge over others.
5. Private Sector: Many private sector companies have gradually started to focus on research and development. Hence, they prefer applicants who have already cracked the GATE exam.
6. Teaching: Clearing the GATE Exam also helps candidates become eligible for teaching jobs. Teaching jobs require a refined educational background with at least a graduation degree. Clearing the GATE exam will help the candidates have the edge over others.
Career options after IES Exam
Listed below are some career options after the IES Exam:
1. Civil Engineering: After clearing the IES Exam, candidates will be eligible to apply in:
a. Indian Railway Service of Engineers,
b. Assistant Executive Engineer,
c. Indian Defence Service of Engineers,
d. Indian Ordnance Factories Services,
e. Central Water Engineering Group A,
f. Indian Railway Store Services,
g. Central Engineering Services,
h. Central Engineering Services (Roads) Group A.
2. Electrical Engineering: After clearing the IES Exam, candidates will be eligible to apply in:
a. Indian Railway Stores Services,
b. Assistant Executive Engineer Group A,
c. Indian Railway Services of Electrical Engineers,
d. Indian Naval Armament Services,
e. Central Power Engineering Service,
f. Central Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Service,
g. Assistant Naval Stores Officer, Grade I officer,
h. Indian Supply Service Group A,
i. Indian Defence Service of Engineers.
3. Mechanical Engineering: After clearing the IES Exam, candidates will be eligible to apply in:
a. Central Water Engineering Group A Services,
b. Indian Railway of Mechanical Engineers,
c. Indian Railway Stores Service,
d. Indian Naval Armament Service,
e. Indian Ordnance Factories Service,
f. Central Power Engineering Services,
g. Central Engineering Services (Roads) Group A,
h. Assistant Executive Engineer Group A,
i. Indian Defence Service of Engineers,
j. Assistant Naval Stores Officer, Grade I,
k. Indian Supply Service Group A,
l. Central Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Service,
m. Assistant Executive Engineer in the Border Roads Engineering Service Group A.
4. Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering: After clearing the IES Exam, candidates will be eligible to apply in
a. Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers,
b. Junior Telecom Officer,
c. Indian Telecom Officer Group A,
d. Indian Service Supply Group A,
e. Indian Inspection Service Group A,
f. Assistant Executive Engineer Group A,
g. Assistant Naval Stores Officer Grade A,
h. Engineer in Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing/Monitoring Organization,
i. Central Power Engineering Service Group A.
Candidates can only grab the vast career scopes which the GATE and IES exams provide if they thoroughly prepare for the exams. To secure good career opportunities after clearing the GATE and IES exams, candidates need to score high marks in the exams. So if you are looking for a platform to guide you through the preparation process for this highly competitive exam, then BYJU’s Exam Prep is the right platform for you. Join BYJU’s Exam Prep to access all exclusive content related to the GATE and IES Exams now!