Is it true that Unity is a game engine only, and you cannot use it for other software development purposes? No, for sure. With the help of this platform, you can create a broad spectrum of applications based on immersive technologies such as VR, AR, and MR. Moreover, there are multiple other ways to apply this technology, even in Web 3.0.
You can even build metaverse and crypto-based applications, 3D visualizations, and product configurators for your specific business purposes. The best approach to do it right is to address a professional Unity development company, which will help you boost business performance, save costs, and reduce risks associated with launching an ambitious project.
Benefits of Unity App Development
Although you can always try out native app development, in most cases, it’s more beneficial to opt for Unity as your primary platform. Why so? Well, there are quite a few reasons:
- The option of cross-platform development. With Unity on your board, your team of developers can build and optimize software for a wide range of devices, from mobile to PC. There are almost no limitations. Each exception is described in Unity’s official documentation. Therefore, instead of hiring a separate team of Kotlin and Java developers for Android app development or Swift experts for the iOS platform, you can use the functionality built into Unity out of the box. This will allow you to save a huge amount of time, effort, and cost, inasmuch as you’ll be able to free two birds with one key. One team to rule it all.
- Timely and cost-efficient development. Without a doubt, Unity enables your team to make Android and iOS app development faster, let alone easier in numerous scenarios. For instance, Unity allows you to limit yourself to the C# programming language instead of spreading your attention across Java, Kotlin, Swift, Objective-C, etc. That’s why you can simply hire a team of Unity developers who are familiar with C#, and you’ll automatically be able to optimize your future app for all the supported platforms.
- Less code — more results. It’s no secret that developing an app in Unity requires far less coding compared to native app development since the platform already provides a lot of in-built and pre-written functionality.
- Developer-friendly interface. Unity features a particularly intuitive, straightforward, and fast menu whose functions prove enough to develop unique applications. You’ll need to do a lot less actual coding when building non-game apps in Unity, and many things, including adding an image to a button or using a custom font, are incredibly intuitive, especially if you have a team of capable developers and designers.
- The Unity Asset Store. Using Unity allows you to take advantage of its in-built marketplace, where you can find any 2D or 3D assets for your apps. In some cases, this can significantly simplify the production process.
- Powerful functionality. The number of functions Unity offers and the quality of graphics it supports will be enough in 9 out of 10 app development scenarios.
What Apps Can You Build with Unity?
Although you definitely can develop video games of different scales, types, and genres, you may also want to utilize Unity’s potential to create:
- A metaverse. As a large-scale, often blockchain-based virtual world featuring all of your services and products, the metaverse can indeed be built inside Unity. Despite some misconceptions, your team can develop the entire metaverse without leaving this engine because it offers a wide array of third-party plugins, SDKs, and other technologies that allow you to simplify metaverse development.
- A training & simulation app. You can definitely make use of Unity’s VR plugins in order to develop virtual reality apps of any kind, from those aimed at training personnel to educating students.
- A product configurator. With the power of 3D, you can build a configurator for any product you can rotate and examine from various angles, removing as well as adding various details to its appearance or functionality. Such an app will undoubtedly help you boost sales.
- A 3D visualization. Whether your business touches upon architecture, interior design, or anything related, a 3D visualization app will do the job. Built inside Unity, such pieces of software will demonstrate whatever you promote to a larger audience of potential buyers, maximizing the odds of selling more items.
- A gamified application. Gamification mechanics can considerably boost your employee engagement, motivation, and working potential. An app rich in such features makes the working process more interactive and playful.
As you can see, there are many ways you can put Unity to good use, with numerous cases and options. That’s why you may also want to find excellent and reliable Unity app developers to optimize your project execution even more.