The World Health Organization or WHO has suspended the trail of the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19 patients with immediate effect.  This organization is worried about the safety issues of this drug. It was reported by the WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on this Monday.

WHO stops trial of Hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19

GENEVA: World Health Organization has put an immediate stop over the trials of the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine over COVID-19 patients. It is worried about the safety issues of this trial. The WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said this on Monday.

The US President Donald Trump has recommended the use of Hydroxychloroquine with a few others, as a possible treatment for COVID-19, or novel corona virus infection. The US President said that he was taking this drug as a preventive measure to check the onset of this disease.

Tedros was saying in an online briefing that “The executive group has implemented a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm within the Solidarity trial while the safety data is reviewed by the data safety monitoring board,”

He also said that other arms of the trial were also continuing. It was a major international initiative to hold clinical tests of potential treatment of the virus.

The World Health Organization has previously spoke against the use of hydroxychloroquine for treating or preventing corona virus infection. It allowed this drug to be used as a part of clinical trials only.

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the World Health Organization  emergencies programme, said the decision to suspend trials of hydroxychloroquine had been taken out of “an abundance of caution”.